Monday, January 18, 2010

A Personal Journal Entry Part 1




I was reading one of my journals the other day, it was the one I wrote when I was preparing for the Akron 1/2 marathon, and thought it was truly a sample of the emotions a person goes through when trying to accomplish a goal. In my case it was a combination of running further than I ever had before and losing a massive amount of weight. I find that writing a Journal through out a process and reading it later motivates me. Two entries in particular inspired me this past week so I thought I would share them with you all. I will post one today and the other in a few days. Keep in mind these entries are an honest and open reflection of my thoughts and is not meant to offend anyone. They are also word for word so I did not check grammar at all. I hope it encourages and inspires everyone to give all that they have to achieve your goals. Enjoy!

August 24, 2009
Wow what a month, a month that has been filled with runs in the mountains, 10+ mile runs, a blue line run of the second half of the Akron Marathon, a hill workout and a speed work out. Times have been busy but the one thing I am seeing more than ever is how God is doing more than I could have imagined.


You see I thought when I started this that it would be cool to see all God is doing and I thought I would notice everything. Well as usual I am wrong. I can’t imagine all that He is doing. I know in myself He has carried me, loved me, encouraged me, been with me, gave me strength, courage, confidence, and much, much more. What I have not been able to see and what I am only getting a glimpse of is what He is doing through me for His glory.

I am getting asked a lot lately why or what I am doing to lose this weight and progress so fast. The only response I have thus far is I do not know. The closes thing I can come up with is that I am doing it by the Power of Christ. I know this does not explain it very clearly and I am not sure I ever will be able to explain it but I see more than ever that my actions can and will reflect Christ.


Ryan Hall a US marathoner said it this way, "when I am running I am in God’s sanctuary"! I(matt) am in His presence and most of the time I can feel Him lifting my feet and setting them down on the pavement. He is ever present to me then and He is so real! My heart aches for God in my runs I realize that I need Him more than ever out there. The byproduct of this is that I do not really notice when others are taking notice. I am stumbling on clues that people are seeing and trying to replicate or trying to find encouragement in my story. I am not seeking them I am just living the life that God built for me.

For instance I see my nephew seeking to be healthier, I see Wally working so hard to be a better person, I even see Bishop moving toward lifestyle change. I have people telling me all the time that I have changed, and I assume it is for the best. I have shared some of the inspiration I have had with others and there is no telling how they are using it today. I guess the key is that although God does give us glimpses of what He is doing we do not notice everything He is doing with us. This past weekend I ran the 13.1 miles that I will do on September 26 in my goal pace time under 2 hours. This leaves me with one major question, what does God have in store for me on race day? I am not sure it will be a better time, and I am not sure it will be this great feeling, what I am sure is that it will be Glorifying Him! That excites me! Father my prayer is that you help me to use every talent I have on race day to glorify you! Help me to lay it all on the line and give everything I have. If I can be an encouragement to anyone just bring them to me or me to them. I pray that I will not forget you and will remember all that you do with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment