Thursday, January 7, 2010

Lack Motivation? Goal Setting!

After a few months I started to question my plan and whether I could really hang on. It became harder to control my diet and to maintain a high intensity level when working out. About that time, I happened to mention to Jason that I needed a goal! Up until now all my goals had been weight and body fat driven. My first goal was to get below 300 lbs, my second was to get my percentage of body fat below 30% (which reduces the chance for heart disease greatly). What would be the next goal?

As many of you know, I am a former athlete and I have a strong competitive side to me. What I was seeking was direction on a goal out of the athletic world. To this point I had done cardio but it was only three days a week for 30 minutes. I reluctantly asked Jason if he felt my body would hold up through a running race. I expressed that I had dreamed of running a half marathon or a full marathon but that commitment was my strongest adversary.

Oddly enough, one of the quickest ways to burn muscle over fat is through extended periods of cardio. (More about that later) With this thought in Jason's mind, he did not answer what would be the best challenge for me right away. Without anyone pushing me I did not commit to anything myself. This left me in a bit of flux with no goal in mind; my passion for getting to the finish line did not burn thus I stumbled a bit. I did not quit working out or trying to eat right, I was merely not as strict or tense in what I was doing. Thus my results week to week were not as impressive.

Then the day came when I went in for my weekly training and Jason said, how about we run the Akron 1/2 marathon. I thought, who is this we? He said that he would run it with me to keep me motivated! Well, that sealed the deal - a week later I was registered and I had put together a training book and started a journal on the journey. I will share some of the tidbits from that journal from time to time.

I mention this because a goal or a dream will greatly enhance your motivation toward something. For me a full marathon is next - hopefully the Chicago Marathon in October 2010. What is it for you? Do you want to play competitively in some sport? Something like soccer, baseball, softball? Do you get motivated by training for a body-building show? Do you want to run a 1 mile fun run? How about a 5K race? Perhaps you want to be a marathoner or a triathlete. Other goals may be to be fit to go on a long sailing trip, hike the mountains out west, swim in a swim meet, or wrestle in a match. How about coaching? Do you want to coach? Do you want to set a great example for your players?

All of these events are still open for adults. To this day I still play hardball baseball, soccer, and run. Others I know have wrestled in matches on weekends and swam in meets for adults. You just need to search the internet and reach out to your local community. They all exist!

Setting a goal that you are passionate about is a huge key to success in changing your lifestyle. For me my goal was set because I had a dream and I also knew that my family could come on the journey with me. My oldest daughter has run 3 one mile fun runs with me and one with my wife. They (My family) all were there at the finish of the Columbus 1/2 Marathon, which I might add was a real tear jerker! I can even say that I have inspired each of my family members in a different way. Hopefully they will all be with me when I finish the 2010 Chicago Marathon!

My hope is to inspire you to take care of your body! It was given to you by God to bring Him glory. I have put up the inspirational videos on the side. When I am feeling down, I pop on the Ryan Hall videos and I see that I can pour myself out more for God. My favorite quote from this series is, "He gave up His life on a cross, poured out His blood for my sin, what can I do for two hours to pour it all out for Him?"

For those that do not know, Ryan Hall is the fastest American born marathoner ever. He recently announced he will be running in Boston again this year, last year he finished in third place but led the majority of the race.

If you are reading this you have to know that I can understand a bit about the battle that you are fighting. Each situation is different but many of the issues come down to the same things: Faith, Trust, Belief, Motivation, and most importantly EXCUSES! Stop making the excuses and come along the journey. In the end you will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment