Wednesday, January 19, 2011

To Whom Much is Given Much is Required

As of my last post, I was in the process of setting my goals for the 2011 year.  As I thought about all that I have been blessed with this past two years I was reminded that, "To whom much is given much is required." With this in mind I really wanted to challenge myself to go further and do more than I have ever thought was possible.  I have come up with three goals that I want to attack this year.  I do this not to put myself on a pedestal but so that you can hold me accountable to these goals.

The first goal I have for myself in the new year is to be a better husband, father, son, brother, and friend.  It is easy to take what you have for granted and the first to feel the effects are those closest to you.  My goal is to show my appreciation to all with whom I have a relationship.  To bury the hatchet on disagreements from the past (most of which I do not remember) and love my family and friends for who they are and support them in common interests. 

In the past two years I have been blessed to get my health back and enjoy being in competition in many events.  I have searched many times for a reason to run and not to keep this blessing to myself.  The most obvious thing I can do is to run for a cause.  I have just signed up to run for the NF Endurance Team.  I will post future blogs on this and I will also be sending out a personal letter asking for your support.

Neurofibromatosis (NF) is a genetic neurological disorder that occurs in 1 in 3000 kids  - one of whom is my daughter Bethany.  There are no treatments or cures for this disorder; those infected just have to learn to live with it and its consequences.  This goal will allow me to focus my runs on serving others and also will give money to a cause that could someday give a child hope.  My goal is to rasie $5000 for NF in 2011.

I will  be posting progress on my blog and will post a link to donate to the cause as you feel led to do so.  I am also asking for you to pray for me as I go about obtaining this goal. Pray that my focus will not be on me but on those that are struggling day to day to live with this disorder.  Pray for the researchers of the Child Tumor Foundation that they will gain wisdom in obtaining treatments and ultimately a cure for NF.

My last goal for this year is to start taking Master's classes at Ashland Theological Seminary.  I have felt called to ministry for the last 10 years of my life and, in light of recent events in my life, this calling seems to be coming to a reality.  As you can see from many of my entries I have no one but God to thank for all that He has done in my life.  As a response to all that He has poured out for me, what can I do?  I look to scripture for the answer and it says that I should surrender it all to Him!  Give Him my mind, strength, and soul.  Thus, in the Fall I hope to embark on a learning journey that will grow me closer to Him who made me!

My prayer for all that read this is that you are encouraged and the biggest thing I pray for is that you all will have an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ.  I know He has loved me and I was and am not worthy of it -so I know He can love anyone and everyone!  To whom much is given much is required, my hope is this year I will pay forward all that is required of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment