Sunday, January 23, 2011

Running for a Cause (Neurofibromatosis NF)

As I stated in my last posting I have decided to run for a cause in 2011.  The past two years I feel as if I was running to save my life.  I was overweight and out of shape and if I did not do something the only thing anyone would be reading about me would be an obituary.  Now that I have been blessed so abundantly, I have decided to run for a new cause. 

Neurofibromatosis (NF) is a genetic disorder that affects 1 in 3000 kids.  (Click Here for a video)  NF can cause tumors both benign and cancerous, learning disabilities, ADD, blindness, and much more.  To date there is no treatment and no cure for the disorder.  The only thing that the medical field can do for the patient is educate them and help them live with NF. 

As some may know, my daughter Bethany was diagnoised with NF in 2006.  Thus far she has not had any issues from NF and has led a perfectly normal life.  However, it does not mean that her future will be filled with more of the same. Also, due to the fact that NF is passed on genetically in most cases, if she decides to have children they will most likely have the disorder.  Also, many others have NF and they are forced to live without a cure or treatment.

With that in mind, my heart is set on helping to raise $5,000 for NF research in 2011.  My plan is to run 1,000 miles this year between races and training.  What I am asking is that anyone that reads this helps me in one of the following ways:

First if you would like to sponsor me per mile I will be posting on my blog the progress throughout the year.  I will make changes to the totals on a weekly basis, as well as blog on my experiences and how the fund raising is going.

Another way to help would be to pledge a set amount of money.  If 200 people will donate $25, together we can raise the $5,000 for NF.  I will still update everyone on the progress and my experiences.

Lastly, I am working with corporations to sponsor me in my races.  If a corporation will sponsor me I will put their logo and web address on my race shirt.  Further, I will place their logo on my blog.  I am currently working with some corporations on a matching plan that I will be sure to update you all on later.

To whom much is given much is required.  Many people look to these words and think automatically about money.  However, when these words were spoken they were referring to all the blessings that have been bestowed on us.  In that respect I ask for your prayers for me that I can live up to what is required from me from the many blessings I have been given.  I also ask that you click on this link and make a donation today.  I will be praying for those with NF and for all of you!  May God bless you and your family in 2011!   

No comments:

Post a Comment