Monday, February 1, 2010

45,000 of My Friends and Me!

Well, today I took a big step forward in my future goals. After much consideration and prayer I have signed up for the Chicago Marathon on 10-10-10! What a better place to complete my 1st full marathon than in Chicago. It is the location of my first ever business trip, and I love the city! In particular if you ever get to visit Wrigley Field it is a must!

I am excited and again nervous, to run 26.2 miles in 4 hours is a rather large task! However I will not be alone, my two brother-in-laws will be with me as well as my newphew Jeremy, and a couple friends. Along with them will be 45,000 total participants! Yes, that is the right number and I am sure it will be complete chaos!

Another goal I set for this year was to return to the Akron Marathon and complete the 1/2 marathon again. This will always be a special place for me. Not only is Akron my hometown, but the organization of this marathon is second to none! It is easy to register, the health and fitness exhibition is awesome, and the start and finish are incredible. Finishing inside Canal Park is special as the stadium has great seating for all who are there to cheer the runners on and you are not funneled into a narrow finishing area (Columbus). To top it off, the race director shakes each finisher's hand as he or she comes across the finishline.

The course is challenging as well as historic and beautiful. The full marathon takes the runners through the city down the Towpath and through the gardens at Stan Hywett and to Canal Park. The half marathon goes through the city, the University of Akron and then to Canal Park. Anyone looking for a goal, the 1/2 Marathon at Akron is a must. Plenty of people walk/run this event too, so do not think you have to run it in a speedy time.

As I embark on this year's journey I am confident it will be fun, challenging, satisfying, and glorifying of God. I am still nervous, but it is the good nervous - you know when you are excited to do something! I am excited I have such a good group of people for accountablility and for encouragement! Can't wait to see my wife and daughters at the finishline in their Team Dudones shirts and give them a big hug!

Every week my church and I say a benediction from the book of Ephensians. It is, "Now to Him who is able to do more than we can ask or imagine with His power at work within us. To Him be the Glory forever and ever Amen!" This is who I will depend on 10-10-10 to carry me for the full 26.2 mile journey! Thank you, Jesus!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Matt. I can't wait to hear about you crossing your first marathon finish line. THERE IS NOTHING LIKE CROSSING THAT LINE FOR THE FIRST TIME. I remember mine well back in 1997 in Scranton, PA. It was magical. Of course, you'll quickly find out afterwards that no matter how you feel, within a week, you'll be picking your next one. A great addiction, I think.

    Anyway, if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to ask. Stay strong and HAVE FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm running Chicago as well! It'll be my second. I'm running my first in May, Vermont City Marathon. I'm look forward to following your journey. I'm blogging my training as well. http://roadtowrightpatt.blogspot.com if you want to check it out. God bless and run well!!!

    ReplyDelete